Hardin Ranch History (through photos and paintings)
This painting by Sugarbabe Carnival is of the John Hardin Ranch homestead where Billy and Sugarbabe Carnival lived. Billy was the ranch manager until he died in 1977. Sugarbabe lived there assisting owners and each time the property was sold, the owners made sure that she could stay on. She came with the ranch until she had to leave due to health problems in 2004. Sugarbabe lived in the homestead cabin for approximately 33 years and was with all of the owners (listed below) except John Hardin and Ben Scott.
Written on the back of the painting, edited by Jody Morrison and Pat Clemens, state the following history:
The Harden Ranch is located on the South Lone Pine starting in 1870 where they brought cattle. At that time there was no fenced land and uncle Johnny was able to run a considerable number of cattle without acquiring a lot of land. Owning his homestead and that of Silas Norton Mr. Hardin trailed a herd of cattle from Missouri in 1869 and in the next year brought them to the upper Lone Pine, the first cow outfit to locate in the so called high country. These cattle were of British breeds and always found favor with the cattle buyers in preference to the Texas longhorn type prevalent at the time. Mr. Hardin long enjoyed the reputation of marketing grass fat cattle of outstanding quality. Following his death, the family continued operation until 1931 when the ranch was sold to Ben Scott. Mr. Harden will long be remembered for his pioneering in the Ranch development.
The Ranch owners were:
The Rothe Brothers of Greeley
Jerry and Mary Mc Morris