The Copper Bug Uranium Mine
In the early 1890’s, Henry Smith was mining copper at what he called the “The Copper Bug”. Later it was known as the Prairie Divide Uranium Mine. Uranium was mined here for several years during the 1950’s. The uranium was, apparently, a low grade ore and not profitable to mine. Thorwald Sackett, Dr. V.E. Cram, James Andrews and other operated the mine as treatment for arthritis after mining was discontinued. People would go to the bottom of the mine shaft on the elevator and sit around and visit with each other while absorbing rays from the uranium deposits. This was supposed to relieve arthritic pain. It is believed the treatments were continued until about 1963. The mine destroyed by the forest service in early 2000.